10 Things You Should Know About the Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania
- We are NOT the RSPCA, we are a completely separate organisation.
We are Tasmania’s largest dog welfare organisation dedicated to improving the life of all dogs.
- We are pro-dog. We are here to save dogs’ lives, not to end them.
Our goal is: TOWARDS ZERO EUTHANASIA OF ALL REHOMEABLE DOGS.
- There is NO time limit placed on dogs waiting to be adopted.
There is NO such thing as ‘death row’ here.
- We are NOT funded by the State Government. We rely on people like you for support. We are a not for profit organisation.
- The Dogs’ Homes of Tasmania is in its 63rd year of caring for homeless and unwanted dogs and operates Dogs’ Homes in Hobart, Burnie and Devonport. We also provide official pound facilities for nine Tasmanian Councils but our staff are not Council employees.
- We want you to adopt from us instead of buying from a pet shop or disreputable breeder if you can provide a caring and permanent home – a dog is a life-time commitment.
- We desex, vaccinate and microchip all dogs and puppies prior to adoption.
- We provide assistance and education to dog owners and the community.
- Dogs are walked every day and heating is provided during the winter months.
- We are here to help you and your dog.